What is Grey Hair ?
Our hair colour is determined by the quantity, distribution and types of melanin within each hair.
There are 2 types of melanin and our hair colour is based on the combination of these two colours:
- Eumelanin: - Dark red, brown to black.
- Asian people have more Eumelanin than Phaeomelanin.
- Phaeomelanin: - Light yellow to red.
- European people have more Phaeomelanin than Eumelanin.
- Grey hair occurs when bulbar melanogenetic cells produce less melanin.
- Some people do not experience total white hair but grey hair with light brown.
- This is because our bulbar melanogenetic cells still produce melanin but at insufficient level.
Causes of Grey Hair
- Genetic predisposition.
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Vitamin B1 and B12 deficiency.
- Nutrient insufficient such as protein, cooper, zinc, iron and others.
- Anemia or poor blood circulation.
- Psychological stress.
- Illness such as gastrointestinal problem that caused poor absorption.